IELTS Speaking Topics - Cake/Cooking, Painting/Art and English Lesson

IELTS Speaking


Talk about an occasion you had a cake that was special


  1. What kind of cake it was
  2. Why did you have it
  3. With whom did you have it


  • I’ve enjoyed many types of cakes in my life.
  • We mostly celebrate birthdays, weddings and anniversaries by cutting a cake.
  • Here I would like to talk about a cake, which was very special because it was baked for me, on my birthday, by my cousin.
  • My cousin Neeti has excellent culinary skills.
  • She lives in Chandigarh, but she had come to spend a few days with us.
  • By chance, my birthday fell in those days.
  • She and my mother planned a surprise party for me.
  • They invited a few of my close friends.
  • She baked a pineapple cake and did beautiful pink and yellow icing on it.
  • She wrote Happy Birthday ……… on it with mixed fruit jam and decorated it with gems of different colors.
  • I remember, when I came home from school that day, the whole house was decorated with buntings and balloons.
  • I felt very happy.
  • She had made many snacks too, like cutlets and fritters.
  • Then my friends started pouring in.
  • I cut the cake at around 6 pm.
  • I enjoyed the whole party with my family and friends.
  • The cake looked so beautiful that when my mother told me that Neeti had made it, I was really surprised.
  • I could never imagine that such beautiful caked could be made at home.
  • Later on, we played a few games like musical chairs and bursting the balloons.
  • Then we danced a lot to our favorite music.
  • It was a day to remember.

Follow Up Questions:

  • Have you ever made the cake yourself?
No, I have never made a cake myself but I have seen a lot of videos on how to make
a cake. I am planning to make a chocolate cake for my mother on her next birthday.
One of my friend knows how to make a cake and she has promised me she will help
me in making a cake for my mother

  • Do people have to pay a lot for food for a special occasion?
Yes in our country people pay to spend a lot of money on food during festivals or marriages. People normally gift expensive sweets to each other during festivals. During other special functions like birthdays or marriages, people organize buffet parties of which there are many different dishes are served. Nowadays people also spend on different cuisines such as Italian and Chinese during special functions.

Talk about a statue or a painting or a work of art

  1. What is it
  2. Where you saw it
  3. What you liked about it
  4. How you felt after seeing it
  • I’ve seen many statues and paintings in my life.
  • There are many statues – on roundabouts, in public gardens, and in public buildings
  • Here I am going to talk about a statue, which I saw when I was in 10th class
  • It is the statue of Shaheed Bhagat Singh at Khatkar Kalan
  • I remember I went on my school tour to visit the museum of our great martyr, Bhagat Singh.
  • The very first thing that caught our attention was the magnificent, tall, bronze statue of Shaheed Bhagat Singh right at the entrance of the museum
  • I was awe-struck to see the picturesque statue.
  • You know madam, it is 25 feet tall stature
  • Bhagat Singh is standing with one arm raised as if shouting a slogan – maybe – Inquilab Zindabad, which means long live, revolution.
  • You know madam, the freedom we enjoy today is because of the toil, sweat, and sacrifice of our great heroes like Bhagat Singh
  • The thing that is special about the statue is that it brings out the feeling of patriotism among the people of India
  • I like it most because it reminds us of the great deeds of our great martyrs
  • We were 40 students and 4 teachers
  • We enjoyed a lot
  • We also saw many other things at the museum
  • We saw the Bhagwad Gita signed by Shaheed Bhagat Singh
  • We also saw the personal diary of Shaheed Bhagat Singh
  • We also saw the blood-stained newspaper in which his ashes were brought
  • We clicked many photographs over there and enjoyed a lot.
  • I remember vividly that it was a bit cloudy and very pleasant over there.
  • I have never been to this museum after that but whenever I go to Chandigarh, I see the statue on the way and my head bows in respect for the great martyr.

Talk about an English lesson you enjoyed

  1. Who gave the lecture
  2. When did you attend
  3. Where did you attend
  4. What did the teacher do
  5. Why do you think it was enjoyable
  • I’ve attended many English lessons in my life.
  • I studied English until senior secondary and then attended some classes while I was preparing for my IELTS exam.
  • The class I am going to talk about here is on homophones and homographs, which was delivered by my teacher, Mrs. Kiran, in my IELTS coaching center, Makkar IELTS, at Phagwara.
  • I attended this class about two months ago.
  • The teacher told us the methods of increasing our vocabulary.
  • She told us all about homophones and homographs.
  • Homophones have a similar sound but different spellings and different meaning, such as a-cc-e-ss access, which means to be able to reach something and e-xc-e-s-s excess, which means too much of something.
  • Homographs have similar spellings but a different pronunciation and different meaning, such as live (liv) and live (alive).
  • I enjoyed these classes a lot.
  • Mrs. Kiran told us very nicely that if we learn two meanings of a word, we learn two words.
  • I learned a lot in that class.
  • I started giving importance to pronunciation.
  • I also developed a lot of vocabulary
  • I developed a love for words.
  • Now, whenever I see any new words, I try to see their meanings in the dictionary and learn them.
  • So, this is the class, which I found very enjoyable.

Follow-ups

  • Do you think grammar is important in language study?
(Note: I have written a long answer. You may not speak that long but you get ideas in case you get an essay on the same topic.).

Yes, it is very important. Without good grammar, clear communication is nearly impossible.
Proper grammar keeps you from being misunderstood while expressing your thoughts and
ideas. Grammar, regardless of the country or the language, is the foundation for
communication — the better the grammar, the clearer the message, the more likelihood of
understanding the message’s intent and meaning. That is what communication is all about.
Unfortunately, as the world becomes more technologically inclined, good grammar has
taken a back seat. People, take shortcuts with the help of new technology, also take
shortcuts with grammar". For them, grammar is unnecessary as long as what they say is
understandable. Nevertheless, this often causes misunderstanding among readers.
Therefore, to overcome this problem, teaching grammar should be paid more attention in
classrooms.

  • Why people learn a foreign language?
People learn a foreign language because it helps you connect with more people. As it is,
today we do not belong to a big planet Earth; we belong to a small global village and to
survive in this global village, it is necessary to be multilingual. For example, English is spoken
in 86 countries. If you know English you can communicate with people of 86 countries.

  • Why can some people learn languages fast white others learn slowly?
Some people learn language faster than some others because of the teaching methods used
to teach them. Interacting more with the native speakers also helps with learning a language
better and faster. Also, there may be a motivating factor, like a job that requires them to
learn that language, which makes people learn a language faster than others, who don’t
have any motivation behind learning a language.

  • Does one’s age affect their language learning?
Yes, I think age affects language learning. I think the learning curve goes down with increasing age. Also, at an older age, people try and compare the new language they are learning with the language they already know. That may cause a hindrance to the learning of a language. People also become more hesitant about making mistakes and feel more embarrassed, at a later age, as compared to young learners.

  • What is the difference in people who know two languages and those who know three languages
Those who are multilingual are even better than those who are bilingual in communication.
It has been seen that language learning and cognitive development go hand-in-hand. So
such people do better in academics also.
IELTS Speaking Topics - Cake/Cooking, Painting/Art and English Lesson IELTS Speaking Topics - Cake/Cooking, Painting/Art and English Lesson Reviewed by Unknown on November 12, 2017 Rating: 5