Tips For IELTS Exam - Step by Step - How to Start IELTS Preparation. [My Experience]

I have been trying for a month to write down this post but did not get time to pen it down in a detailed manner. IELTS! About half of the queries I saw on this group and other groups are related to it. Students are pretty much scared to attempt it and so was I when I attempted it back in July. So let me put down some tricks that worked for me. Just remember IELTS is all about strategy of attempting the test. I attempted the academic module via British Council and did not feel that they give you less bands as compared to AEO (because I knew where I made mistakes). Now coming up to strategy for each section:



Listening: Try to focus on synonyms of the words given in the questions. Practise from Cambridge books (I used The Official Cambridge Guide to IELTS). Also I found this blog really helpful (http://ieltsliz.com/) for all the modules. Though I missed a recording that day! I was able to get hold of myself and this helped me in other sections. Lastly, for last recording you do not hear exact words so try to practise this more.

Reading: For me this was the most tricky module and I used to get confused in T/F, NG Q/A. So here are my tips:


  1. For heading questions skim and scan through paragraphs. Focus on first sentence and last sentence to get to exact point of the paragraphs. Moreover, do not spend more than 10-15 minutes on first two readings. 
  2. First read the questions and encircle key words such as synonyms of those words that are used in the questions. 
  3. Do not over think for T/F and NG questions. I personally felt that going with the gut works best and overthinking takes away a lot of your time!
  4. For sentence completion questions try to locate the word by understanding the structure of sentence. For e.g. whether a noun/verb/adjective would fit best in the sentence. 
  5. MCQs usually are given in order so try to manage them quickly by identify the right paragraph.

Writing: Okay so task 1 is pretty easy if you have written a research paper or thesis. But task 2 is tricky, needs time and has twice more weightage than the former. My tips are:
Start with task 2 first and give yourself 5 minutes to gather up thoughts. Additionally, a mind map can help a lot in the written section.
  1. Always identify the statement of essay! If it is an opinion essay do give your opinion. If it is a discussion essay with multiple thesis statements do discuss each of them.
  2. Divide your essay into introduction, supporting paragraphs (2-3) with each having one core discussion point. 
  3. Do not forget to give examples!
  4. Try not to repeat words. For e.g. in giving example, you can use for instance, taking an example of, such as, one clear example etc. 
  5. Do not forget to use linking words such as additionally, moreover, secondly, therefore, in contrast, in comparison etc. 
  6. Always write a conclusive paragraph. 
  7. For task 1, discuss the critical aspects. Try to compare and contrast the information given in chart/graphs etc.
Speaking: I did few mistakes in this module and immediately knew that it will impact my score! Here we go:
  1. Be yourself! You are not judged for your opinion. Try to answer the question in few sentences rather than just going for one simple sentence. For instance, Do you like to read? Yes, I love reading. My favorite writer is Khalil Gibran and I am a huge fan of his work, Spirit Rebellious. 
  2. Do give some example for questions. For e.g. Do you like sun shine? Do not just answer yes/no. Give reason/example. For e.g. Yes, because I feel sun is a source of brightness and I feel it adds up energy to my daily routine.
  3. Do speak for 2 minutes!! I did not speak for the full time and she told me to continue. This was where I knew I will lose some score. 
  4. Keep a positive attitude! Do say Hello! Good Morning/Evening when you enter the room. While leaving, also say thank you and have a nice day!
  5. Non-verbal language is also a very important part of your overall appearance so be confident!.
Good Luck! And do not be scared of the exam. I believe it is just in your head otherwise you all can perform well. It took me just a week to prepare along with my job responsibilities. So, gear up and be determined!

Tips For IELTS Exam - Step by Step - How to Start IELTS Preparation. [My Experience] Tips For IELTS Exam - Step by Step - How to Start IELTS Preparation. [My Experience] Reviewed by Unknown on November 03, 2018 Rating: 5

No comments: